Change Everything

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sum-sum-summertime!


Hello!

Just about the end of August but very much still summertime.  It's still very warm here, though the forecast is for a mild weekend. I'm stacking a lot of activities into this long weekend because it is getting towards the end of summer and because I really need a good break from work!

I put together a bright, cheery summer setting for two this week. I did 'cheat' a bit on the drinkware setting in some of the photos.  They should always be above the knife but for the pictures I preferred having them on opposite sides.


I've had the tiki candle holders for years and this is probably only the second time I've used them on a table.  Forgive me if I'm repeating myself here; I find that the more tables I do the more I'm able to shop around the house and find elements that I may have never thought of before.
A perfect example is the plant you see on the table. This plant was a housewarming gift and though I see it everyday, I had never used in on my table before but I really like the way it fills out this setting.  


 


The new faux bamboo flatware is making another appearance along with these great woven placemats.  Unfortunately I only have three but it worked out perfectly for this table because I only have two of these fun hibiscus plates and two of the parrot glasses.


  
The koa wood pineapple is a GW find.


 A close-up of one of the tiki candle holders.  I've also seen something similar as a tumbler, wouldn't they be fun for a luau themed party?


I just adore flamingos!  I'm always on the lookout for new pieces but as with many things they go in and out of style pretty frequently. Unfortunately, no new additions this year. 










I'll be joining the party at Cuisine Kathleen's Tablescape Challenge, Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday, Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House, Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life and Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Flatware setting etiquette:
  • Forks on the left, knife on the right.  
  • The blade of the knife should always be turned toward the plate.  
  • Once you a piece of flatware is used, it should never again touch the table/tablecloth.  
  • If soup is served, often the soup spoon comes on the plate under the soup. It should taken away in the same way. 
  •  

8 comments:

  1. What a fun and colorful tablescape! Love the Flamingos and the bamboo flatware too. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty, fun summer colors in this tablescape! And don't you love your bamboo flatware? I have some and figure out ways to use it year round. The dark handled flatware reminds me of twigs!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, break out the mai tai's and tiki torches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take me to the islands! I guess summer can end and we can go find it there can't we!
    I am so sick that I gave away my collection of ceramic tiki glasses - that was before I started to tablescape! See, we really shouldn't throw housewares away - or give them away, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pink flamingos - the summer colors are vivid and perfect for an end of Summer tablescape. You are right, the plant fits perfectly with this tropical theme tablescape. Bamboo flatware is really versatile. I have a set that is much darker in color (maybe from age?). I have been looking for a set like yours for a while now, it really is perfect for a summery table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your colorful table! I need to get some bamboo flatware, I have just about every other kind. Have fond memories of tiki glasses from the 70's! I had no idea flamingos have gone out of style...
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I saw the flamingo I knew this would be a fun table, and I'm not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love your tables! It is so tropical and fun!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete