Change Everything

Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Purple Tea


I've been running errands all day, maybe it's time slow down and enjoy some tea.  While most of July & August have been too hot for anything but iced tea we did have a couple storms blow through that dropped the temps enough for long sleeves and a cup of warm, soothing tea.  

The beautiful tablecloth was my grandmother's, it works so perfectly with this tea set.






 I found this lovely tea set after I had read a tribute to someone's Mom who had Alzheimer's and as this disease has also impacted my family in a big way I had meant to wear something purple but got distracted and left the house without a single purple item on my person. When I walked into the store and saw this, I knew it was meant to be mine. 






Instead of getting everything matching, I bought two different plates and two different cups.  They didn't match exactly but they look wonderful together.




The other plate...






















 
Sometimes everything just falls into place the way you want it even though you had no idea where you were headed when you started.  Since this was a setting for tea, I needed a cream & sugar set so I stared at the china cabinet for a while, walked away, did something else and went back and stared some more. Then suddenly I realized I had a cream & sugar that went with another set but seemed to work just perfectly with the new teapot.  






The flatware was a bit of a surprise, too.  I bought the set last year thinking it was blue and I wanted a blue set.  When I got it home, I decided I really didn't like it and actually found another blue set I liked better.  'Shopping' around the house for this table I took a closer look and decided they read more purple than blue, ta da!!





Finally, a bit of tea etiquette
  1. No pinkies in the air, there's really nothing proper about that hand position.
  2. I was reading a book last night and the author describes a fancy 'High Tea' at a local hotel.  What she was actually referring to was 'Afternoon Tea'. High Tea is really a hearty, hot meal more like dinner or supper.
  3. One only picks up the saucer with the cup if the table is more than 12" away from you. If you're seated a regular dining type table you probably don't need to pick up the saucer. If tea is being served from a low table, like a coffee table, then it is appropriate to pick up the saucer when sipping your tea.
  4. Once you're done quietly stirring your tea, the spoon goes behind the cup, not to the side (see photo above).
  5. The tea goes in the cup first, then sugar and milk if you choose.  Many, many, many years ago tea cups were made of inferior products and people would put the milk in their cups first so the hot tea wouldn't crack them.  That's not a problem today... unless of course your tea cup has been the freezer.
Lastly, not so much etiquette as a bit of information. Not all teas are meant to be steeped at the same temperature.  Most black teas can handle water straight out of the kettle, 195 - 205, but green and white teas need a bit less heat, approx 175 - 180 degrees. Using water at the right temperature makes all the difference in the flavor of your tea.  
    





Teapot, plates & cups - Grace's Teaware, Home Goods
Cream & Sugar - I. Godinger, gift
Flatware - Marshall's
Etched sherbet. tea strainer, ramiken - Le Stuff Antique store
pear candles - Vance Kittera candles, Kitchen Kaboodle  


Since we're already talking about SHOPPING...!!! The closest Hobby Lobby is about 2 hours from here so it's more of an event than just a quick trip.  For those of you who shop there regularly, when do you suggest I plan a pilgrimage for Christmas decor? September? October? Early, mid-month, end-of-the-month?


I'll be linking up with Rose Chintz Cottage for Tea Time Tuesday, Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday, Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House, Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life and Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style.




14 comments:

  1. Your purple tea is wonderful ... the tablecloth is perfect. I like to mix my china/purples. Fun! Happy Tea Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tablescape is really pretty and I know at least two of my tea friends who will absolutely swoon when they see it! Everything looks lovely and your tea etiquette I have shared a few times over the years. You know, I have an uncle from England and he still insists on pouring the milk into his teacup first. Old habits die hard, I guess. I am so happy you have joined me for tea today and please do join me again soon. Have a delightful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi for your kind words and for hosting a great link party! I've over-heard someone saying to put the milk in first so the cup won't crack, it's interesting how bad information gets passed along so thoroughly sometimes and when you try to tell them something different, they're sure you're wrong.
      Perhaps we should start a group "Tea Drinkers for Better Manners" hahaha

      Delete
  3. A purple tea is my favourite kind! I'm like you and use mix and match, makes for an interesting table. The flatware does look like purple, good thing you dug it out to go with the other purples. Now I wish I could join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love for you to join me for tea! I was excited to get these photos and share my new tea set, I'm so glad you like it.
      Thanks for stopping by Judith!

      Delete
  4. Love your purple tea! Our Hobby Lobby already has a ton of Christmas decorations, but there will be more after the Halloween stuff is taken away. I always like to go when they start putting it on sale for 30-40% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Hobby Lobby update! I don't think I want to wait until November for the trip but who knows, I do love a good sale. I'm looking for 4' 'Christmas' trees for my living room.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Hi: I love the tea etiquette! Always good to know these things. Your purple table is beautiful. Love all the beautiful china you have gathered. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, thank you for your kind words and for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  6. Love your mix and match purple set--so pretty! Homegoods is wonderful. How fun you had bought the purple flatware before you knew you wanted purple flatware! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie - I've been staying away from Homegoods recently. I'm waiting until they get Christmas dishes in and looking forward to adding to one of the patterns I already have. I just love dishes!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful tea time! I love all your purple's! Enjoyed your tea time post so much!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy - I always look forward to seeing your lovely tea settings.

      Delete