Change Everything

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pantry Project - Looking for suggestions


I hope that you're warm & cozy on this winter's day.  I just took a quick break to make some hot chocolate - with marshmallows of course!  

Like many of you I have some new goals for the new year and for this particular goal, I need some help.  I want to use up ingredients I have in the pantry and freezer.  I believe I've seen similar posts referred to as "Cook from your pantry" or "Eat from your Pantry" (or something like that). Winter seems like the perfect time for this effort since I'm very much in the mood for comfort food. 
I always think of great ideas for meals while I'm at the grocery store but by the time I get home, I have completely lost the enthusiasm for preparing them and all the supplies I've purchased just get put away until inspiration strikes again (or they hit their expiration date).

NOT my pantry... but similar
I want to downsize the quantity of food stored in my pantry and freezer and try out some new recipes.  
I'm looking for a website or Android app that will allow me to enter ALL of the my ingredients and come up with a variety of recipes.  I've tried the Kraft website but that only allows you to enter a few ingredients. For example if I enter, chicken, rice, noodles, corn, black beans - I won't get any results because there aren't any recipes that call for both rice AND noodles. In other words you have to know where you're going in order to get there.

I appreciate your input.  I did some brainstorming last night and came up with a short list of meal ideas. Tonight, I'll be preparing chicken with boursin sauce and baked brown rice. 


I'll be linking up with The Thrifty Groove for 'Thrifty Things Friday'.

Happy Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your quest! I looked at my pantry the other day and decided it was past time to use what I have on hand instead of shopping for more. I am going to try to use 90% of what is in there before adding one more item. My freezer is just as bad. Not sure yet how this is going to work out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your pantry Marigene. I found that the Betty Crocker website also had a recipe finder and it seems a bit more user friendly. I'm sure you'll come up with some great meals.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I don't have a lot in my pantry since I live alone, but I still have to be careful about letting items get pushed to the back and not used. I think I'm going to try to organize better so I see what is what. Thanks for linking up to TTF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy for things to get hidden in my pantry, too. Because I love to bake I've ended up with a large supply of things like canned milk and marshmallow fluff as well as miscellaneous other ingredients.
      Good luck with organizing your pantry! (Just a hint, set a timer for 15 mins so that you don't get overwhelmed)

      Delete