Change Everything

Monday, January 27, 2014

Back to Basics


Hello and welcome to the second table for January.  I sort stayed with a simple color scheme partly because I wanted to use these bowls again.  However, afrer seeing a number of different tables from snowmen to a table with cream, and other warm neutrals I'm thinking that next January, I might try something completely different... but that's months away so let's focus on this setting.

Clearly these table settings are not correct - the butter spreader doesn't go on the edge of the salad plate/pasta bowl and there's really no reason to have a sherbet bowl on the salad plate and above the plate.  I just like the way everything looked and I wanted it all on the table at once.  

Lots of new (to me) stuff on this table. I found the small white bowls and the etched sherbet/compotes at an antique store.  The white flatware was  a great find after Christmas, hmmm was that Ross or Tuesday Morning, I'm not sure. I think I found the flatware in one store and the spreaders at the other.

These black & white pieces are more bowl than plate but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be plates.  Either way, the pattern is great. 

When I found the candle sticks at Pier 1, I knew they'd be perfect for this table.  I kept trying to get a good picture of them but it wasn't meant to be.

How will I ever redeem myself? 
Yeah, probably won't lose any sleep.

I found these beautiful little etched compotes at the antique store. They'll look wonderful with a scoop of my cherry pomegranate sorbet.
Another shot, this time with some glass 'rocks'.  

I loved china, crystal and silver before I started tablescaping.  I always said I wanted to live in a house that had enough storage for a set of dishes for every season; I had no idea at that time that 'every season' meant a lot more than Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.
I don't much about it but I don't think this is milk glass, it's got a sort of luster to it.  I think they're adorable and the sort of ruffled sides match the ruffle on the charger.
(Update: I got this info from a reader, thank you Karen "Your sherberts were made by Macbeth Evans in depression era and the pattern is Monax Petalware.")

The dessert spoon across the sherbet bowl might have been more correct. **wink**

This is a time when scratch & sniff would be quite useful. This is tuberose and if you've ever smelled it I don't need to go any further.  
If it's new to you then you don't know what you're missing. It's at the top of the list with gardenia and jasmine; it shares some of their floral notes as well. 
I found this bunch at my local Costco.  It starts to turn brown pretty quickly but the fragrance doesn't fade at all.  I usually keep it around well past its 'expiration date' just because it smells so amazing. 

Yes, I like it. A lot. A whole lot. A friend told me recently that she found the tubers at a local nursery. I'm happy for her.
Really I am.
But she lives in another state. 
I don't think it'll grow here.

I'll be linking to 'Seasonal Sundays' on The Tablescaper (next week) and to 'Tablescape Thursday' on Between Naps on the Porch.

I hope you're having a great week! 


       

6 comments:

  1. This is for me a beautiful TS.

    Anyways, if we sit for a family dinner, shall we mind how our setting is? I am enjoying the mismatching and a not perfect.

    Ur color choice is absolutely elegant.

    Just enjoy coz I am enjoying here... the tasty food matters for my part. §:-)

    Happy TS,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC - I have a sign on my refrigerator "Love people, cook them tasty food" and that's what I focus on when I have company not if I've put the spreader on the right plate.

      Delete
  2. Lovely table. Thanks for sharing. Your sherberts were made by Macbeth Evans in depression era and the pattern is Monax Petalware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen - I appreciate the details on those adorable sherbet bowls. I've added your information to an update. Hmmm, I wonder if she has any left I should probably get at least two more.

      Delete
  3. I love the pattern on the black and white plate or bowl or what ever it is!! who cares if it isn't set to table standards!! That's the fun thing - set it the way it looks good and it your table looks great!! I like the napkins rolled in the stemware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann - you're so right. I just have so much fun with my tables and I was having fun with this recently purchased flatware.

      Delete