Change Everything

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Orange, the color is orange... or is it?


I created a one color table for Cuisine Kathleen's white plate + one color challenge at Let's Dish and spotlighting a couple fun napkin folds.

The table is very simple because I didn't have a lot of orange stuff... so you're wondering why I chose orange. Because I had orange tapers, orange flatware and orange chargers.  It just sort of made sense.

This napkin fold (and the one below) are two of my favorite. Impressive and fun, you can use different color bow ties for a colorful, festive table.
You can just barely see the orange beads inside the evening jacket.  Even though this fold looks simpler, it gave me the most trouble. Probably because I wanted to add that splash of orange ribbon and the beads.


Once I had completed this table I thought I was done, even though I wasn't thrilled with it.

There I go thinking again.

After my recent trip to Goodwill, I was inspired to try again using my original color theme...

Silver & White

 I found this gorgeous silver coffee set at Goodwill and it's brand new, never been used.  There is also a silver tray but I couldn't fit it on this tiny table.  It's by International Silver, a lower end silver plate but it's shiny and beautiful and I love it!



To paraphrase one of my favorite authors "I'm crow-like in my affinity for anything that goes sparkle".  This love of the sparkly has become more pronounced as the years pass.  


I used the same napkin fold but with different accessories.  How I happened to have silver/gray ribbon I don't know but there it was in the ribbon box (tub, I like ribbon), I just lucked out.

I love sterling, it just makes me happy. I don't even mind polishing it to bring out the sparkle and/or luster. While that shiny new coffee set is beautiful (even if it is just silver-plate) the patina of the older pieces is really my favorite. The spoons are like that and the silver bowl, polished many times over the years but still just as beautiful. 

I also got this at Goodwill and polished it up. I'm not sure if it's for toast or letters or napkins (though putting paper napkins in a silver holder seems a bit incongruous) but it's pretty all the same.

A better shot of the coffee set and lovely brooch on the napkin.  I have several sparkling brooches that I've gathered from clearance sales and garage sales. This one just seemed like the perfect fit for this table setting and napkin.
I want to give equal time to the dinner jacket napkin. I think my faux bow (tie) looks pretty good. I'm really liking this camera setting as well. 

If you have sterling or silver-plate that was a wedding present or inherited from family, I encourage you to use it. It won't break and if you use it on a regular basis you don't have to polish it. Leaving it in a box in a cupboard is a crime. 
Life is a celebration and even if you're serving corned beef hash, get out the good dishes, silver & crystal and enjoy them. No, the good china won't break if you leave it in storage but it's very lonely and feeling left out.  You deserve the very best you have. Really, what are you saving it for? If you're not special enough, I don't think the Queen herself would convince you to get all the wonderful stuff out on the table.

If you have questions about  how to set a table, please send me a message. I'm happy to provide some etiquette guidelines for you. From a casual brunch setting to the most elegant, formal dinner setting; just ask :)

The glasses on the 'orange' table are Reidel
The crown glasses on this table are from Sur La Table - I'm looking for more but Replacements hasn't found any yet
The sterling flatware is from eBay mostly - the spoon pattern is called 'Lily'
Chargers are from Michael's
Stainless Flatware - 'Concannon' by Reed & Barton
Coffee Set - International Silver (Goodwill)

I'll also be linking up at Between Naps on the Porch and Seasonal Sunday's at the Tablescaper.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so creative with the beautiful napkin folds as clothing! I must learn to fold napkins in these shapes. The beautiful orange beads and ribbon on the ladies napkin is a great touch. Then, even expanded the challenge with the silver accents. Thanks for sharing the idea of silver as a centerpiece with the coffee set from GW. I have found many lovely silver pieces at thrift stores but haven't used them on a tablescape yet. Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam - I learned those folds from the Napkin Wizard. He's got a website, a blog, lots of YouTube videos and a new book! The dinner jacket was in the book and the evening cape is on his blog under 'Mother's Day'.
      I enjoy napkin folding almost as much as T'scaping.

      Delete
  2. Such cool napkin folds. They add such a great touch!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love it when I can include a fun napkin fold on my table.

      Delete
  3. Bravo on meeting this challenge-----twice!! Both your tables are sooo pretty. That napkin fold is extraordinary. I'm not very adept at that skill: even reading the directions causes confusion, but I'd love to learn how to enhance my tables with napkin folds like that. Wonderful! Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie - check out the Napkin Wizard on YouTube, maybe you'll find something you really want to try on your table.

      Delete
  4. Oh, my! Both of these tables are great, but you really out-did yourself on the second one. Those napkins are fantastic and your other pieces are beautiful. Love, love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - I really enjoyed pulling together the silver table. The napkins were a great touch since I didn't have anything silver to put on top of a stack of white dishes.

      Delete
  5. What a delightful idea, using the ribbon and the bling for his and hers places! That is genius! Pinning to save for the future!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenna, I'm so flattered that someone besides me is pinning my tablescapes.

      Delete
  6. I love the white and silver table...those napkin folds are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Marigene, I do have fun with napkin folds occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those napkin folds are so much fun! Both your tables are lovely, thanks for linking them to the challenge at Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen - it's so fun to be able to share my tables and flattering to be invited to do so.

      Delete
  9. Nice! I guess I will finally get mine out of the boxes...after over 20+ yrs: ) .....Most likely it is a letter holder, though napkin (serviettes) holders looked very similar. The toast holder has several sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mamaroses I hope you get out all your beautiful silver and dishes and enjoy them more often.

      Delete