Change Everything

Thursday, October 10, 2013

October Influence


Welcome!
I made you some cupcakes but they didn't turn out well, sorry.  I'll be remaking them into cake pops which will correct the problem, very dry.  I have to find the recipe I used a few months back, it made absolutely delicious cupcakes.

Moving on...

I was so excited to put together my first truly fall tablescape! The trees outside are cooperating, some more than others, and providing a lovely display of fall colors.

I've probably said this with other tables but I had a lot of fun with this setting.  Perhaps it was because it came together so easily, I had been thinking about it for a while and as I'm rather new to this level of table decor a lot of the pieces have been purchased within the last year. I remember finding the flatware when I was out shopping with a friend and saying "these will look great on my October table". 





I love these little critter candles and they certainly look right at home on my table. 










These pumpkin tureens are great but once I got them unwrapped (they'd been wrapped in paper, in storage since I bought them) I thought they seemed sort of large for a single serving of soup as part of a meal. However, if the soup was the main event then they'd probably be okay.  They're also a good size for a gravy boat since they'd hold a LOT of gravy, but there isn't a little notch in the lid for the ladle.

I guess this looks a little like potpourri but I thought it looked better than just an empty dish.  I'm also playing with camera settings again; this one is called 'toy camera' and puts that dark edge around the photo. During Thanksgiving this is usually the cranberry dish... or olives.  My family eats an inordinate amount of olives at Thanksgiving. There's more to that story and we'll cover that when we sit around the Thanksgiving table and tell stories.
We're going to do that, right?

The amber dish in the center looks very orange because of all the leaves and the string of lights shining through them. The lights are called "LED Garland" and they're smaller than rice lights.  More like a long wire with small bumps that are LED's.  It runs on three AA batteries and I've got the battery pack hidden among the leaves.  I wish it had a timer like the lantern because I have to take stuff out to turn them on, then pile everything back on top again.  Bottom line, it was on for pictures but hasn't been illuminated since.

You call it lazy, I call it preserving the delicate balance of mini-imitation gourds and leaves.

(I found the website of the company that makes the LED garland; sullivangift.com but I bought these at local kitchen store)


There are tiny faux pumpkins under each of the brown glasses. I tried to get a better picture but it just didn't work because the glass is dark and reflective. At the end of the post you'll see what my fall tablescape looked like last year, the picture of the pumpkin under glass was a bit more successful.


I love the little faux pumpkin & gourds.  I'm going to look for some more once this kind of fall decor goes on sale.



The dramatic low light photo from above.

Up close and personal with the pumpkin tureen.


"An inviting and amusing place setting" says MissJane Thinks She Rocks.haha

'Toy Camera' setting

'Miniature' setting

And now the moment you've been waiting for... my fall tablescape from last year...


try to stay awake...

Isn't it thrilling!  We all have to start somewhere and it has a certain charmingly simplicity but as I've discovered over the past few months I really like the cluttered table look much more. 

In reading various blogs I know a lot of you were still dealing with temperatures in the 80's & 90's but I hope things have started to cool off for you. Even though the summer seemed very short here in the PNW, I'm happy to be able to (comfortably) wear my favorite sweatshirt and jeans again. 

Here's hoping you're having a great day!

I'll be linking up to Tablescape Thursday* at Between Naps on the Porch, Seasonal Sunday's at The Tablescaper and Cuisine Kathleen.

*(It looks like I'll have to try linking up to Tablescape Thursday next week, it's all full) 

Pumpkin tureens - Certified International
Brown leaf plates - Pottery Barn (probably from a few years ago)
Yellow plates - Dollar Tree
Brass Chargers, tablecloth & Amber candy dish - (Goodwill)
Plaid napkins - Home Goods
Oak leaf napkin rings - Bed Bath & Beyond
Champagne Flutes - Cost Pluss/World Market - from a few years ago
Brown water glasses - Tuesday Morning
Lantern - Marshall's

12 comments:

  1. LOL, you've come a long way! Great to have you join in at Let's Dish! I love your table, so full of vibrant colors and textures. The leaf plates and tureens are wonderful, great color combos!
    I hope you'll come play with us again, you are always welcome. Try to get around and visit so the gals get to see your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen! I really appreciated your invitation a couple of weeks ago, it meant a lot. I've had fun visiting lots of other fun blogs linked to your site :)

      Delete
  2. Like your table! Those soup tureens and leaf plates are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm really enjoying them, too.

      Delete
  3. Great autumn table...those little pumpkin tureens are adorable. Love the tablecloth.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - ssshhhh the tablecloth is a piece of fabric from GW. What a find, it's Ralph Lauren :)

      Delete
  4. Major pumpkin tureen envy!!! They are SO cute! Love your lighted centerpiece also! Lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jewel - I stared at those tureens for a long time but when after they got out on the 75% off shelf, I knew I had to act fast.

      Delete
  5. Lots of vibrant colors! The tureens are gorgeous. Yes, that is a big change from last year. Hope you're enjoying tablescaping.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I LOVE tablescaping and I really enjoy your blog.

      Delete
  6. Isn't this T'scaping fun?!! I'm new at it, too, and love the inspiration from all the other bloggers. I love your colored pumpkin tureens. I found white ones and like them but I'm really loving your colored ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tablescaping is so much fun! It's a great creative outlet for me with pretty instant gratification. I love the planning and shopping for pieces around the house.

      Delete