Change Everything

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fall...


Fall has arrived! Even as I type there's a big storm outside as if to prove, without a doubt, the change of seasons.  A more serious moment; I'm feeling very blessed that I'm inside, warm, dry & cozy, and that I get stay in here and enjoy my weekend.

It took some restraint, not my strong suit, to wait until the first day of autumn to change my tablescape themes over to fall colors. I had made a fall wreath and bought a silk fall leaf garland for the light fixture weeks ago but they remained in 'hiding' until the Autumnal Equinox (extra points for fancy words that contain the letter 'x'). I've seen pictures on other blogs of fall decor with lots of pumpkins but I'm going to wait a long time before I add pumpkins around the house... a full 7 days! I know, I'm so strong.

This tablescape is sort of a late summer theme which made sense where I used to live where summer could linger into October. Even though here in the PNW summer came to an abrupt end about a week before the first day of autumn, I had already made up my mind to go with the sunflowers. I can't say that I miss the lingering heat from a long summer.  I'm enjoying the cooler temperatures and the fall color.

My sunflower table

The mugs actually inspired this table, I've had them for a few years, and like many of my other tablescape treasures, I'm wishing I would have bought four of them.  I found the pattern online but I didn't find any place to purchase them inexpensively.

I made the napkin rings with a strip of felt and some Dollar Tree sunflowers.

We may not have progressed as far as we have as a society without the invention of glue guns. Okay, maybe just on the crafting side but the variety of adhesives available has made crafting much more accessible to the un-crafty, like me. Due to circumstances that will remain top secret, I only use the low melt type glue gun/glue, I'm also a big fan a re-positional glue and tape.

The amber glassware is from Ross and with it comes a confession of sorts.  I may have mentioned previously that I don't have a lot of storage for all the dishes and accessories.  Most of it is in tubs stored in closet in the garage and other pieces are stored in various spaces around the house, like that china cabinet you see in the background.  Back to the glasses... I found these in the clearance section and was pleased, thinking how great they'd look on my fall tables.
When I went to gather the bits and pieces for this table, I opened a tub in the garage and found... four amber colored glasses.  Yep, I had bought some others at Tuesday Morning months before because I knew I wanted amber glasses for my fall tables.  Apparently, amber glasses like living at my house.

Are you ready for this story? Okay, no long story this time.  I found these cuties early in spring and could hardly wait to use them.  Big Lots sunflower plates, Dollar Tree yellow plates and I think the (red) charges are from Michael's, last year.

The placemats were a Christmas or birthday gift from my Mom a few years ago when I was just starting to decorate my table now and then. I nearly donated them when I moved but I'm glad I didn't, it's hard to tell in this picture but they are the perfect color for this tablescape.

Here would be a great place to say something witty and/or funny.  Hmmmm.... uhhhh... Where does the general keep his armies?

In his sleevies!! hahahaha

This time the climb up on the step-stool for the all important aerial shot turned out pretty well.  It definitely looks less cluttered from this vantage point.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.

By now you may be wondering why I don't have any flatware on the table.  That's easy I don't have any that matches.  The red set from the apple table was too orangey red and the orange you'll see next month clashed with ... well almost everything.  My everyday flatware?  It just didn't feel right to introduce stainless with all these warm golds & reds.  The green handled (partial) set might have worked but so far I've only been able to find the knives.


If fall hasn't arrived wherever you are, I hope it shows up soon.  And if anyone is a psychologist out there, (or plays on on TV) I'd be interested to know why the majority of women I know, and several bloggers I follow, state that fall is their favorite season. It's my favorite as well; the crisp air, the beautiful fall colors on the trees, and the baking! Spring with all it's gorgeous color and reappearance of green after the drab browns and grays of winter is wonderful too.  Maybe it's because fall seems to be about nesting and that is just what a lot of us are good at.

Or... because I can wear long pants alll the time and I don't have to worry about what my legs look like until next summer?

Happy Fall Ya'll !

I'll be linking up at The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday & Between Naps on the Porch on Tablescape Thursday.

9 comments:

  1. Pretty sunflower tablescape and I think your photo from above looks awesome. I'm ready to cozy up to fall too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I'm having fun with the new camera and trying out different angles. I have challenges with the room and the table, thank goodness for cropping & editing or I don't think I'd be brave enough to publish my pictures.

      Delete
  2. You've gathered some great elements to create your Fall tablescape...and flatware can be overrated. :-) Just serve finger foods! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger food is a great idea! It's even much easier to prepare and serve :) I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  3. I ♥♥♥ this table! Sunflowers are so cheerful.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the table! Sunflowers are very cheerful and driving by a whole field of them is ... well a bit dangerous because you want to look at them and absorb all the gorgeous!
      I hope you're having a great week, too :)

      Delete
  4. This is my first time visiting your blog, and I totally enjoyed it! Loved your witty writing and enjoyed your lovely table. The colors all go so well together and those sunflower plates are WONDERFUL! I'm having trouble getting into fall decorating, as they're predicting 90 degree weather here this weekend, but your transitional table was inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope you come back again. I've read on lots of blogs that the weather just isn't cooperating and I completely understand. I used to live in an area where the 80 - 90 degree days would hang around until almost Halloween some years. I always said I was going to blast the AC and pretend, but I never did. It's not the same when you have to change into shorts to go outside.

      Delete
  5. Very pretty table! Glad you found your way to Let's Dish with your newest one. You def have the knack!

    ReplyDelete