Change Everything

Monday, September 16, 2013

An apple a day...


Apples are very good for you in many ways but this post isn't about food, though apple crisp sounds delicious, it's about the first of my September tablescapes.

I decided to set a tea for two table this time. First, just because I wanted to do something different and also because there wasn't just enough stuff to fill up the table.


When I put this together the weather was still pretty warm, as a matter of fact we experienced record breaking heat (for the date) just last week. Since then, the temperatures have cooled down quite a bit and we've had some rain.  Looking at the forecast, it does appear that fall has arrived.. or fallen in the case of the rain. 
I found this flatware at Goodwill a few days before I put this table together and I wasn't even looking for red flatware.  Interestingly, it's service for 5 with two butter spreaders. So maybe, 1 set went with someone to college. Those little baskets are JoAnn's very cute but really cheaply made. They should be paying people to take them out of the store. Yeah, yeah - I did buy them but only because I knew they'd look great on this table. 
I'm still learning about the various settings on my new camera. The picture above was taken using the miniature setting which blurs out the top & bottom of the photo. I kinda like it.  Most of the pictures were taken with different settings, that's part of the fun.  What's not so good... I only remember the setting for the one above. Oh well, it's a photography adventure!

I made the runner, yes I made it! The center seam was sewn on the machine and then I used fuse-able webbing to finish all the edges. It's a table runner not a couture gown, if the Project Runway people want to come all the way over here and squeeze themselves into my house to critique my apple table runner... yeah, uh huh, I'll start making them some cookies... soon as that sock drawer is organized.

A bit of a close-up of the basket. You may recognize the napkins from last month's table, or maybe not. Notice the little white blossoms on the runner... 
See that little recipe box in the upper right corner of the picture directly above. The recipes in it are from a friend of my Mom's. For a birthday several years ago this woman made copies (some handwritten, some machine copied) of her favorite recipes for me and there are a lot of them!  I don't think I was appreciative as I should have been at the time but I am now.  Like many other people, I get a lot of recipes from blogs and other websites, rarely opening my cookbooks or recipe boxes but when I was quickly looking through this box searching for an apple pie recipe, I realized that there are a lot of interesting recipes in there I should try.  I was doing some recipe testing last month and it was fun but I had to take a break but I think my stomach is ready for something new.

A close-up of teapot & cups. The teapot was on the clearance table at Macy's a few months ago and the cups are from Goodwill. These I were looking for and if you've ever seen all the coffee mugs at Goodwill, you'll know that finding two matching cups without searching and searching is pretty amazing.

Another shot of the tea tray. I made the little paper apples a while ago using my Cricut. The tray has a rooster under that napkin, which is why I covered it.  
Remember when I mentioned the blossom on the (beautifully crafted) table runner?  Well, I didn't realize it at the time but when I brought the fabric home I noticed that the teapot also had a little a little white blossom on it as well.
Pretty amazing, considering I was looking at three different apple prints at the fabric store.  Divine intervention? Law of attraction? Subconscious choice - I had been using the teapot pretty regularly prior to this table setting. Just lucky or interesting coincidence?  Doesn't matter, don't care.

I struggled with the settings on the camera a lot with this one to the point I probably have more than 60 photos of this little tea for two setting.  I do love digital photos, they're made from (non) photographers like me.

I hope the change of seasons brings you joy... and caramel apples!

I'll be joining the party at The Tablescaper tomorrow & Between Naps on the Porch on Tablescape Thursday.
I'll be joining the apple theme challenge at Cuisine Kathleen on Wednesday.

24 comments:

  1. I live in apple country and have 2 trees. This year no apples last year hundreds. I want that teapot lol. My niece owns a cider mill with her own orchard. Very nice tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my apple tree... but I don't miss cleaning up the dropped apples. Fresh cider sounds wonderful!
      Thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  2. So adorable. As a retired teacher, I would have loved something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it. It perks me up every time I walk by it.

      Delete
  3. The darling apple tablescape is just a wonderful theme for this time of year. I love the very pretty apple teapot from Macy's. Your use of the teapot in the centerpiece is perfect with the red cups. Your precious apples runner is a lovely basis. Each place setting is wonderful with your cute apple basket! Have a great week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, I'm new to 'tablescaping' and truly appreciate the positive feedback.

      Delete
  4. Adorable! Please come link this up next Wed. at Let's Dish at Cuisine Kathleen's. It is an apple scape challenge! How convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  5. What a pretty, cheery table!! I'm also a newbie to tablescaping so I will welcome you to the club, as others have done to me! Your colors are perfect together and your teapot couldn't be more perfect. I love your choice of fabric for your runner, as well. You have a talent for this hobby, and I hope to stop by again to see what your next
    post will be. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for your kind comments and compliments. I really enjoy this little creative outlet.

      Delete
  6. Hi Miss Jane, I also enjoy tablescaping, both as a hobby and to help set a festive atmosphere for my friends and family. I love your table--very inviting and cheerful. Have fun with your camera. I know exactly what you mean about forgetting the settings you have experimented with! I need to keep track better so I can learn. Hope you have some cool fall weather soon. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no sooner get one table finished that I'm ready to change it to something else. I try to enjoy each setting for a couple of weeks before I change it. I'm always thinking ahead of the next few months.
      The camera will take more practice but I am enjoying the learning process.
      Thanks for taking time to leave comments!

      Delete
  7. Very cute- I like the red tray with the teapot and cups! The little baskets on the plates are cute and of course the apple basket looks great! I like the tablecloth, fabric runner and how you tucked the napkins around the plate! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! It's always fun to put together a new setting.

      Delete
  8. Love this post. Not only do you have the cutest tableware (love that teapot), but you made me laugh! I always appreciate that! Hopefully the Project Runway people will not storm your home - the runner looks fabulous on the web - lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, next to an apple a day, laughter is the best medicine? Thank you :)

      Delete
  9. What an appealing (no pun intended) table! The runner is just perfect for this setting, and the little individual baskets are darling! I love the centerpiece, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia! It was certainly a joy to put it all together.

      Delete
  10. Cute, cute table! Tablescaping is very addictive...hope you have time to visit. Don't you just love thrift stores...I would rather shop them than retail...you never know what treasures you will find.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely addictive but in the very best way. It's a new hobby and I'm really enjoying it. At first I spent a lot of money on pieces but now I'm being more selective and using whatever I can find around the house. I have found some wonderful pieces at Goodwill but I have to show some restraint.
      I love the dishes on your blog banner, they're gorgeous.

      Delete
  11. Looks so cute! My camera frustrates me :( sometimes I just give up and use my IPAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, perhaps I should try some shots with my Slate. I do love my new camera it's the editing software that I find a bit frustrating at times.

      Delete
  12. This is such a cute apple table! love the teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the interplay of the green and red on your table. And yes, Project Runway would probably not like my sewing either. Cute table!

    ReplyDelete